Feb 02 2016

Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs

Xylitol is a naturally occurring substance, extracted from corn fiber, birch trees, hardwood trees and other vegetable material that is widely used as a sugar substitute. Although it has been used as a sugar substitute for decades, its popularity has increased dramatically in the last few years. Products that may contain xylitol include sugar-free gum, candies, breath mints, baked goods, cough syrup, chewable vitamins, mouthwash, toothpaste and peanut butter to name a few.
Although xylitol is safe for ingestion by humans, it is EXTREMELY TOXIC TO DOGS! Even small amounts (as little as 2-10 pieces of some sugar-free gums) can cause toxicity ranging from low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) to seizures, liver failure and death. XYLITOL IS 100 TIMES AS TOXIC AS CHOCOLATE TO DOGS!
So with the holidays upon us and many potential sources of Xylitol everywhere, please make sure they are stored safely, out of the reach of your pets. Do not share any food that may contain xylitol with your pets and never use human toothpaste in your pets.
If you suspect that your pet has eaten a xylitol-containing product, please contact us (your veterinarian) or Pet Poison Helpline at 1 800 213 6680 immediately.

alohaamc | Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Location Hours
Monday8:30am – 6:00pm
Tuesday8:30am – 6:00pm
Wednesday8:30am – 5:30pm
Thursday8:30am – 6:00pm
Friday8:30am – 5:30pm
Saturday8:30am – 3:00pm
SundayClosed

Wednesdays - NO Doctor Closed Sunday and all Major Holidays


Payment Options through CareCreditSM